Here is what’s on tap for today!
- Understand the Language (Discourse) of Argument
- Select Your Journal
- Read About Your Topic/Find Good Reasons
Chapter 5: Writing an Argument
- Write your three key terms/concepts down on your index card (I will collect these and grade these; this is part of your short assignment points and is worth 5 points).
- In groups, discuss your key terms/concepts
- Come up with a top three list
- Write those on the board (please note the corresponding page number of the term/concept)
- Write your question on your index card (I will collect these also; this is also worth another 5 points)
- In your group, discuss your questions
- Decide on one question
- Write that question on the board (please note the corresponding page number)
Please recall that in this project we need to begin by addressing the following:
To have composed a paper that is appropriate for submission to a real-life academic forum, such as an undergraduate research journal,
To identify and clearly target a specific academic audience with your writing, considering whether that audience is comprised of insiders or outsiders relative to your community of observation.
- In our groups, we will analyze one of the five journals from which we are selecting
- Together, identify the following:
- What types of papers (essays) does the journal accept (topics/disciplines)?
- What are the submission requirements and/or guidelines (formatting)?
- Who is the audience of the journal?
(If Time) Read About Your Topic/Find Good Reasons
- We need four additional sources for this paper.
- From our sources, we must decide what, how, and why we are going to claim what we claim:
- Responding to sources
- Entering a conversation
- Identify the online journal to which you would most likely submit your paper
- Post the journal, along with the link, to your blog
- State why you chose this journal in the same post (this post is worth 5 points)
- Find and read the remainder of your sources
- Post your remaining sources, along with a summary, to your blog (this post is worth 5 points)
- Read pp 253-265