Here is what we will accomplish today!
“Few persons care to study logic, because everybody conceives himself proficient enough in the art of reasoning already. But I observe that this satisfaction is limited to one’s own ratiocination, and does not extend to that of other men. We come to the full possession of our power of drawing inferences the last of all our faculties, for it is not so much a natural gift as a long and difficult art.”
-Charles Saunders Peirce
Why? (Why are we writing these papers?)
- Critical Reading, Thinking, and Writing
- Entering into and participating in conversations (i.e. you have something worth saying and all you need to do is learn to get into the conversation)
The Language of Project 3: How we will talk about writing this essay
- What are the key terms?
- How are they defined and used?
- Types of Arguments
- Genre Conventions
- What else???
Assignment for Thursday, 5 November
- Critically Read Chapter 5 in The Wayne Writer
- Note three key terms or concepts from the chapter
- Bring one question about the chapter